Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Eight years old


Hard to believe that today you are eight.

I remember so clearly first finding out I was pregnant with you. It was Christmas time. Your Dad and I lived in Missouri but were at Nana and Papa's house for the holidays. Dad and I realized that I was pregnant on a day where I was spending the whole day with Nana and he with Papa. I had every intention of telling Nana during the day but somehow just couldn't. So, when we were all together again we told them both. They were overjoyed!

I remember so clearly the day you were born. I was having mild contractions all morning and into the afternoon. It was around 2:00 in the afternoon when we finally called the doctor because the contractions were becoming regular and about 5 minutes apart. And, they were starting to hurt. We headed to the hospital. But, I made your Dad stop at a McDonald's. Not because I was hungry (I had other things on my mind!) but because I knew he had not eaten lunch and you Dad is worthless when hungry! I waited in the car while he ran inside McDonald's to get something to eat. Sure seemed like it took him forever.

I remember so clearly walking the halls of the hospital and then stopping to rock back-and-forth in your Dad's arms when a contraction hit.

I remember so clearly the instant you were born and the doctor said, "It's a girl!" Oh what a magical moment! I looked at your wrinkly, pink skin and cried and cried. I held you so close and tight. Absolute love at first sight. Soon afterward the nurses weighed and measured and bathed and dressed you. Dad stayed tight by your side. We cried with such overwhelming joy.

Then we ordered pizza.

Well, I WAS hungry!

I remember so clearly bringing you home. Is this car seat working right? Honey, slow down! Your driving too fast! I remember so clearly bringing you inside our home for the first time. It was very quiet. Very hot. Very still. What do we do now??

Eight years have passed since those quiet and still first moments. What life changing, amazing, magical, blessed years they have been. I have watched you become a walking, talking, thinking, empathetic, funny, smart, clever and kind young girl. I feel so incredibly lucky to be your mother. I love you to absolute pieces my sweet girl! ABSOLUTE PIECES!!

Happy 8th Birthday.
Mom

9 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

"Hapde Burfday!" (in jack language.)

I hear you on the pizza thing. Not 5 minutes after Jack was born I NEEDED FOOD!

Mama Said Sew said...

What a sweet post to write for your daughter's birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOO!!

Anonymous said...

So sweet, Dana. They just grow up so heartbreakingly fast, don't they? I was just thinking about the little baby noises that they used to make. It would be so nice to revisit some of those days, just for a little while.

laura capello said...

happy birthday!

(ahem, that sounds like a rather easy delivery. geesh.)

Anonymous said...

I remember you telling us . . . . so many fond memories. I look forward to all the rest.

Love you - Mom

amelia said...

That's so sweet....

Do you write a letter every year?
Great tadition if you do.


Amelia

Anonymous said...

I don't really know where to put this since I stumbled on your site but here you go...

on TPWC blog you were talking about looking for a giant muffin pan at Sur la Table.I don't know what brand they carry, but Wilton makes the best as far as I'm concerned, and you can order it direct from their site for about $8 plus the cost of the paper cups (if you want them). Probably cheaper than Sur la Table....but we love them anyways :)

First City Events said...

you have a great way with words sis. this is great. you really know how to capture the moment and put us in your heart and life. i especially loved a few entries ago how you were describing the girls and you brought it to how your breaths fell in line with each others. you should write a blogg or something !!

The Wooden Spool said...

How sweet!