Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Our holiday

For the Independence Day holiday we always go to my parent's house in Savannah, Georgia. It always means fun. It always means spending the whole day at the beach. It always means taking the canoe out on the back river to see the dolphins. It always means good food.

This year it also meant croquet.




It also meant reluctant photography by me. Why reluctant? Well, I'm waiting for my new camera to arrive (should be today) and I'm nervous. I'm feeling a little scared/undeserving/shutter-blocked. I've known the new camera is coming and I was just a little standoffish with my current camera for fear that I'm no good. Just being honest about how I'm feeling. Keepin' it real.

So, I didn't take many images of the people I love. But did find some time to capture Nana and Papa's gardens. Beautiful, beautiful gardens.





We usually stay at the beach until nightfall for the fireworks but this year we changed it up. A family friend (Hi Betsy!) has a store with a balcony overlooking River Street. It gave us the perfect view of the Savannah fireworks display.




Finally, this holiday also meant that the girls learned how to ride bicycles. We don't have a flat, open and safe area for them to ride at home so they just hadn't learned yet. Now they have and we could hardly keep them off the bikes. I have video of it but no still images . . . it's back to that whole new camera/photography block thing.

-dana

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun you all had! And are you crazy-you are fabulous at everything you do-including photography!!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great time! Every picture you have posted here has been gorgeous - hopefully you get past your block soon :)

Renna said...

As to the photography, go ahead and experiment. You know we'll be gentle with you. We'll be encouraging you every step of the way!

Savanna looks like such a neat place to spend Independence Day. I am pretty far from the ocean. I've only been to one a few times in my life.

Congrats to the girls for their milestone accomplishment! :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a great and relaxing visit. Can't wait to see the pics with the new camera!

Pony Girl said...

I would love to visit the south sometime! Sounds like a fun time. Did you see the dolphins?
Did I miss it~ what kind of camera did you order?? How exciting!

sarah, rsm said...

Oh my goodness ...
"scared/undeserving/shutter-blocked" I can so hear ...
however "I'm no good" is SOOOOO not you ... Just helpin' ya at keepin' it real ... REALLY! ;) Trust me/us on this one!

Becky said...

Oh my! The dreaded camera intimidation....I know all about it. Don't be hard on yourself, use the talent you so very obviously pocess! Jump in there and shoot, shoot, shoot!