Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Today she's ten


She's compassionate, kind, athletic, brave, hilarious and wise. She likes kicking up in handstands, running down hills, various and assorted competitions, and making us laugh. She likes to stay curled up under the blankets "just a few more minutes" but bounds through her day as soon as her feet hit the floor. She makes me feel purposeful, proud, humble and in love.




She can use her wit to outmaneuver my frustration.  Like the other day when I asked her for the fifteen thousandth time in her ten years on Earth if she had opened her blinds and she looked me straight in the eye, batted her lashes, allowed her smile to be fully eclipsed by her dimples and said, "maaaaay-be."





This morning as she was opening a ridiculously expensive baby doll that she has wanted for months and months and I've always managed to talk her out of because I know that in a matter of weeks the doll will be forgotten and at the bottom of a pile of toys, she said thank you in a way that radiated throughout her whole being.  I couldn't stop smiling.  Her thrill, excitement and pure joy sent me to the moon and back.

At ten her doll playing days are numbered and I don't care how much the doll costs anymore.


And this morning I drove her to school knowing I'd come home and make her a cake.  She spent the short ride singing almost every word to Do You Remember.  And punctuating important phrases with fist pumps and booty shakes.


My youngest is ten today.  I've come to realize that I strive to be just like her.  She's unapologetically devoted to her choices and decisions.  She's lives in the moment not worrying about what comes next.  She's constantly and consistently ready for her next adventure.  And makes sure to enjoy it to the fullest.



She finds humor in any situation and manages to use it to her advantage.

And I just can't help but to be drawn to her, wanting to bask in the warmth of her light. 


Happy Birthday Licious.

Thanks for being mine.

Love,
Mom

33 comments:

Kim said...

Double digits.....where does the time go! What a sweet post.... it left me in tears and anxious to see
my kids this thanksgiving weekend.
It will be the first time we are together in four years .

So happy L. got her babydoll :0)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Licious! Beautiful pictures.
My middle is almost ten, they grow up too fast.

Guess what we have to purchase for Christmas? 3 ridiculously expensive dolls :)

AnnieO said...

Omigosh, that number came so fast! She's obviously your favorite younger daughter :) Happy 10th, indeed!

Jan said...

Happy Birthday to a wonderful girl.

**nicke... said...

you have me crying again dana! it makes me so happy and sad all at once. your baby is 10! oh my gracious. my baby is a year and a half and i know he will be 10 someday and it makes me happy and sad all at once!

DebbyMc said...

Beautiful, beautiful baby girl. She fairly sparkles with life! If only we could capture that exuberance and spirit and live it every day ourselves. I love that she wanted a baby doll and I love that she got it. You're doing a great job Mom (and Dad)!

Amy said...

I always enjoy your birthday notes to your girls. Thank you for sharing.

Kar said...

What a fabulous ten year old you have Dana! A very Happy Birthday wish to her and many more happy ones for her. Have a wonderful day with her.

Trudi said...

Awe, my hormones are all out of sinc and this has me tearful! Beautiful pics, beautiful post as always Dana! Happy Birthday Licious! Enjoy your babydoll, and cake!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

What a wonderful post...like everyone else my eyes are watering too. My oldest will be 10 in a month or so...time really does go by too fast.

beth said...

what a beautiful girl - i love that you take such delight in your kids.

Rene' said...

Happy birthday to your sweet daughter!!!! She sounds like a very special little girl!!!! Your touching post makes me smile!

Kristin said...

Happy birthday! She has a beautiful infectious smile! :)

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday!! Wonderful post about such a special person!!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

What an awesome tribute post! A great big happy birthday to your sweet girl. Double digits is a big deal!

Sara said...

She was basking in the camera for sure---what a sweetie pie!! Happy Birthday girl! You picked a great month to come into this world. Mine is the 26th.

dolores said...

Ack! You are killing me...memories of Ten....wowser! YOU kiddo, is why those two are so wonderful!:)xoxo

Hubby and I will be ever so meloncholy this Thurs as the girl is in the UK and the boy is going to my parents...saving his days off to be home for Christmas...I'm counting the days to the four of us sitting on the couch, eating popcorn and watching whatever in the world they want to watch!:)

Happy Freaking Birthday Lic...we need a photo of the doll baby!:)

QuiltNut Creations said...

just too sweet. happy birthday to her!

Emily Cole said...

Goodness. 10. Wow. Luckily I have about 6 months to prepare myself! Happy Birthday, Licious!

Susannah::An Art Nest said...

Great pics of your lovely girl!

Catherine said...

Wishing her a happy birthday! Long may her childhood last! My 12 year old is still playing with dolls which is a happy reminder that she is still a child.

Mama Said Sew said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday Licious! Hope you all had a wonderful day. :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What great pictures!!! Hope she has/had a wonderful birthday!!!

Artfulife said...

Happy birthday to the coolest 10 year old around! Hope it's the best year yet!

Marianne Penner said...

A very moving tribute. I feel the same way about my daughter!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Licious! Awesome post Mum.

Molly said...

Awwww .... your is so beautiful. You've raised and joyful and wonderful girl! I know just how you felt when you bought that doll. I remember years ago my oldest son wanted a pricey car track set for Christmas. I knew he would be getting his license that summer and the toy would be old news but I had to buy it anyways. I felt a sense of sadness when I bought I because I knew it was the last actual child's toy I'd ever buy him.

Gotta go ... tearing up now. Loved this post.

Molly said...

Grrrr..... Your DAUGHTER is so beautiful. How could I have not typed the most important word?!

eva said...

She's got the most beautiful eyes!!
xoxo
eva

Elissa said...

beautiful pics and post. i LOVE that she still wanted a doll.

AKA said...

What a gorgeous post. This makes me more excited than usual for my future children and inspired. Bravo on a wonderful daughter.

Shan said...

My son Josiah turn 7 on the same day. Its amazing how much we love them. I await the day I have a girl. Yours is beautiful.

sarah, rsm said...

i so adore how you love your children, dana.