Wednesday, March 14, 2012
My parents were in town for a few days and my Mom is always up for a project. I mentioned that I wanted to repaint the cabinet that sits in our kitchen and she enthusiastically volunteered to help. It was a light green and was in dire need of repainting due chips in the surface and permanent marker stains.
We got to work around noon on Saturday and did everything you are supposed to do when painting wooden furniture. We sanded to scuff up the surface. We wiped it down. We primed it with an oil based primer. Then we painted it the desired color.
This is where something went terribly askew. Earlier I had gone to the barn and pulled a can of paint that matches the lower built in cabinets in our kitchen. Those were painted a few years ago . . . 2008 maybe. Since the paint was a perfect match and exactly what I wanted, I found a paint stick, popped the can open and began to stir. And stir. And stir. Funny thing about leaving a can of paint in the barn for several years is that it completely separates, gets thick and maybe even a little clumpy. So I stirred and stirred until both Mom and I agreed, "Ah! What the heck! It'll do!"
After one coat, the paint began to bubble up. But not before painting the . . .Whole. Entire. Thing.
We brought it back inside. Let it dry overnight. Woke up Sunday. Started sanding. Razor rescued us with his power sander. I went to Lowe's. Bought a new quart of paint. This time enamel but the same color (India Ink for those wondering.)
And two coats of the new paint worked like a charm.
Lesson learned and duly noted.