Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Barn Bustin' Update


A few weeks ago I told you how we were bustin' our barn open to make a garage.  More progress has been made in that regard since then.   


The lighter colored end there is new construction replacing the old double swinging doors that used to fill this space. 



Interestingly, this building was never a barn for housing animals.  When it was built in the early 1950s, it was the area auto repair place.  The auto fix-it shop.  We've found stacks of old receipts showing the kind of work that was done here and the staggeringly low prices people were charged.  We kind of figure it appropriate to be parking cars in there again.


Now we are just waiting and waiting and waiting for the garage door to arrive and be installed.  Then we are thinking we will be able to install the automatic garage door opener ourselves.  Think so?  Any advice on that?

-dana

11 comments:

dolores said...

Hahaha...hubby has installed many a garage door opener....if you all get stumped give us a call!:)

Kar said...

Isn't it great having a indoor space for the cars. I couldn't do without a garage ever. I for one am staying away from doing the opener ourselves. Ours needs changing and I don't even want to monkey with the spring. I'm spending the money for someone else to do it. :)

Sara said...

Beautiful garage and the quilt block is great!

Danny Heyen said...

I wouldn't trust MY hubby to install a garage door opener, but I think I could do it. :)

trish said...

I'm having barn envy over here! :o)

Unknown said...

Love the barn quilt. Good luck on the garage door.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

You guys are good at DIY projects

ferne said...

Installing those things can be difficult, but you guys are great at difficult stuff so give it a try and watch out for that spring. My question is "Did you make your barn quilt?" I am thinking of making one for my well house and not sure what material to make it out of and if I should frame it, the hardest part though has been deciding on a block!

The Blessed Wife said...

Careful with installing the door. The opener is fairly simple but the springs on the door can do some serious bodily harm. My daddy is an incredibly handy man but he would never touch the springs after seeing what damage they can do, during and after installation. Be careful!

Unknown said...

Looking good. I still want that old barn. Can I borrow it a bit? No? Okay. :D

The door shouldn't be hard to install. Google, youtube might be able to help out. Good luck with it.

Happy finishing and hey, write, write, write.....;)

oh, jenny mae said...

Ben replaced our garage door opener last fall. the directions are pretty easy to follow.