Monday, February 10, 2020

An ending. A beginning.



I suppose my time writing and publishing here are done. Eleven years is a pretty good run. This space was a place to document, process, and share so many things. Thoughts going on in my head. Family moments. Letters to my daughters. Things I made with my hands. Flowers and gardens and greenhouses and seeds. This blog afforded me the opportunity to write a book, contribute to numerous magazines, share tutorials on host websites and be interviewed for podcasts.

This blog has served my family as such a remarkable time capsule of our lives. We access it from time to time to remember stories, snag photos, determine dates of when something happened and, of course, to reminisce. Eleven years of written and photographic history at the touch of a keyboard has been incredibly more useful than I would have ever imagined back in 2009.

These days it's rare that I have a camera in my hands other than my phone. I still stop and photograph and notice and think about things... but the way that I share them has changed. Snap, caption, post to Instagram. That's sorta the pace of things in this current season of life. In a blink that will change too.

What makes all this change bearable is the fact that human connection is the thread that remains constant.  This space created friendships that have carried forward to the next.

For each and every one of you, I'm grateful. I'll see you on Instagram. And whatever comes after that.

With love,
dana


7 comments:

Andrea R said...

I feel ya. I recently starting blogging again on my "old" blog but took a couple of weeks of thinking too much about how much had changed,

To everything a season I guess?

Molly said...

I feel ya too .... It's kind of like the end of an era. If it wasn't for you and this wonderful space I would never have discovered quilting just when I needed it. I learned to quilt here and made many wonderful friends. Thank you Dana. You're the best.

Catch you on Instagram.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Awe I’m shedding a tear. So many memories. I’m sure we both blogged about meeting for the first time, when I asked for you to sign my book. What fun that was. Then our lunch at the neat restaurant, that later burned down. Your girls introduced me to Monty crisco sandwich.

I’ve tried to go back to blogging. Yes it’s hard, when there instagram and Facebook. But deep down, I do it for the future. I can look back and reminisce, as can my grandchildren, and other family members.

Take care my friend.

See ya on Instagram

Chris said...

Damn. I’m going to miss your blog. Instagram is fun but your long, thoughtful posts made my heart happy. I loved the way you spoke about your daughters. Sigh. Life changes. But I understand. My husband used to write hilarious Christmas letters in which our sons’ antics figured prominently. Then they no longer wanted to be the centers of attention. My friends still miss our letters.
And I will miss your blog.

Darcy said...

I’m saddened by this news! I have enjoyed your blog for years, but I understand. I also love your instagram and am glad to still be able to follow along.

Jennifer said...

I’ve enjoyed your blog for most of those 11 years - thank you for sharing your life and family with us here and see you on Instagram!

Di~ said...

I remember the first time I read your blog, you were having a giveaway! giving away a quilt! Yahoo! I wanted that quilt soooooo bad! ha Thanks Dana