Thursday, February 6, 2014

My stop on the Pillow Collective



Amy Ellis is always up to something fun and when she asked if I'd like to participate in Pillow Collective I instantly said yes. Amy knows that I'm a quilter that sews quilts and only quilts.  That means I don't really make bags much.  Or cute little zipper pouches.  Or pillows.  I mean, I've made a pillow or two in my day but it's not really in my roundhouse.  


My friend Tara made me the cutest mini quilt several years ago.  For a long time it hung in my tiny sewing area.  And where it hung was only really visible when I was pressing fabric.  I liked it there because it was such a cute little surprise when you stood at the ironing board and looked to the left.  However, it struck me that this beauty could be better enjoyed and more readily seen if I made it into a pillow for our bed.


And that's exactly what I did.  The process wouldn't be different for any piece of fabric . . . be it an upcycled sweater, favorite sweatshirt, your own mini quilt or treasured vintage linen.  I simply used a pre-bought pillow form (available at craft stores and most big box department stores,)  cut the mini quilt 1" bigger in each direction than the pillow form, cut fabric for the back of the quilt similarly but with enough fabric to make an envelop style closure (here is a great tutorial for that from Freshly Picked) and sewed it up.


Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  And now I get to enjoy it every single day.

Looking for more pillow inspiration?  Amy has pulled together a creative group of bloggers to help spruce up your living spaces with a collection of great pillow tutorials for you.  After all the tutorials have been shared, you will have the chance to make your own and enter to win prizes later in the month.  You can check them out by clicking on the names below and visiting their blogs.

        Amy Ellis
Now go forth and make pillows!

-dana

12 comments:

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

What a lovely pillow!!! I love it :))

Jacque. said...

What a great idea, Dana! I like the size/shape, too! I have had pillows on my mind to sew for a good year and just haven't done it. All the pillow talk going on is giving me lots of inspiration. Great job!

KaHolly said...

I is a great idea, and it came out so cute!

dolores said...

Sweeeeet!:)

I've started putting an envelope back on any mini I make over 15" that way it can mulitask!:)

Kar said...

What a cute idea for a mini quilt. Yours turned out great! Love all those different scraps of red that Tara used. :)

Unknown said...

I love that you can enjoy it everyday now! It's perfect! Thanks for sharing Dana :)

Lori said...

this is really pretty, and you did a great job. I can see this in colors for a little girl.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I use Freshly Pieced tutorials every time I make a pillow back--especially her exposed zipper.

Jackie said...

That is an adorable mini-quilt. I love that it is now a pillow. :) Good job Dana.

Kim said...

Adorable!
Has the featherweight left your kitchen counter yet?

And if any of your readers once to gift me with one I'm open to it :0)

Happy Sewing

Anonymous said...

Darling! Love repurposing items. Nicely done

Anonymous said...

Darling! Love repurposing items. Nicely done