2) You're not happy unless everyone is happy.
3) I love your willingness to try new things even if sometimes it takes a little encouragement from those you love. Like jumping off the boulder into the cold lake this summer. Or calling the school and letting them know how much you wanted to be part of the mentor program. Or taking on leadership roles even though you already have a full plate.
4) You have the most beautiful, thickest, gorgeous hair I have ever seen.
5) The way you've tackled high school is impressive. My chest swells with pride when I think of all that you are accomplishing each and every day.
6) You spent a week on the Appalachian Trail this summer!
7) And even though I didn't get to see or talk to you for two weeks while you were prepping for and hiking the AT, Dad and I are so proud of you for taking on that challenge and mastering it like a boss!
8) You're a great cook and adventurous eater.
9) I love that a good book stays in your head and sometimes makes it hard for you to start a new one. It's almost as if you feel you would be betraying the characters of the story by moving on. I get that. I really, really get that.
10) You're gentle, kind, thoughtful and considerate. I think I say that every year on your birthday but there really are no better words to describe you.
11) Well, there are additional words too. Like smart, conscientious, understanding, and forgiving.
12) And accepting. You accept people for exactly how they are. It's not in you to try to mold anyone into what you think they should be. Or to judge them for being how they are.
13) Fashion flair!
14) Thank you for taking the time to notice things that matter to others. You make me feel heard and understood. Teenagers get a bad rap for being self involved but the woman you are becoming is far from that. You take mental note of things happening in other peoples lives and are first in line to celebrate, commiserate, mourn or comfort whatever the case may be.
15) You're beginning to understand that you have wings. The world is a big and wonderful place and you are grounded and well equipped to maneuver it. Trust yourself. You've got this.
Happy 16th birthday sweet girl!
I love you.