Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Seed saving. Literal and not.


I went to the gym this morning, just like everyday, and noticed the hundreds of dewy spider webs on the tennis court fence.  I always notice wet, drippy spider webs in October.


On my drive home, I went down the list of things I wanted to accomplish today in my head. As I let Harpo outside, I grabbed containers to collect seeds. I collected Cosmos, Grape Hyacinth Bean,  Marigold and Zinnia seed. I always gather the dry, crispy seed pods in October. 



Later this afternoon, we will drive to see my youngest run at a cross country meet and hope to see some elk while there. I want to hear them bugling. We always make a point of stopping to see the elk in October.

The rhythm of the seasons. The ritual. It was ten years ago that I first wrote about saving seed here. My girls were much younger but I'm hopeful that those "seeds" are planted in their memories. That they've saved them. That they too are noticing the dewy spider webs, crispy seed pods and the call of the wild.

-dana


4 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

Lovely post. So good to gather seeds to plant for the future, real and figurative.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I never knew there were Elk in your area. I better slow down the next time I'm there!

Di~ said...



great post! thanks.

Jacque. said...

Elk.