Wednesday, November 22, 2017

16 years old


You've never ridden a school bus to or from school. There are lots of reasons for that but there is one reason I haven't shared with you. And, honestly, it's probably the biggest reason.


Since kindergarten, I purposely time my arrival at the end of a school day so that I can be near the front of the pick-up line. I always turn off my car and sit in silence and wait to see you emerge from the building. Construction paper crowns. Macaroni necklaces. Friends. Boys. Cell phones.  And, always your big, bright, contagious smile.


Whether you waved excitedly while wearing your big, puffy coat and snow boots over your striped tights, or ever so subtly glance my way and change coarse towards my direction, I've always known the exact moment you realize I'm there to get you.


The days of me sitting in the pick-up line are numbered.  Being sixteen and all.

SIXTEEN.

But I'm still watching the wonderful story that is you. And I'll be there at pick-up anytime you need.

I love you.

Happy birthday!

Love,
Mom

8 comments:

Lindsey R. :: LRstitched said...

Well now I'm sniffling. Happy sweet sixteen to your beautiful girl!

Melody A. said...

Happy Happy 16th Birthday!! and Happy New Year because our birthday really is the first day of OUR New Year!!! and yes, your days are numbered,dear Mom, enjoy every moment!! Happy Thanksgiving from Iowa

Havplenty said...

Sweet tribute to your daughter. Yes there comes the day that we parents realize we will need to set our children free from our watchful eye to navigate their own lives, but we know as parents we will stay close to catch them when needed.

sarah, rsm said...

I have ALWAYS LOVED your Birthday letters to your girls! ❤️��️❤️

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

It happens in a flash!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Ah..thank you!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Absolutely!

Unknown said...

What beautiful words for your daughter. Very touching. She obviously shines, and so wonderful how you see that and put that into words. Thanks of your stories.